Blogs are becoming as increasingly popular as reading the happenings each morning in the daily news. While it’s a fact that almost everyone has the ability to blog, there are several things you should know beforehand to be considered productive. Prepared with the knowledge of your initial blogging needs, and equipped with a reliable and affordable blogging host is essential for success in the blogosphere.
Assessing Your Blogging Needs
When looking for a dependable, yet, affordable, blogging host the first thing you want to consider is whether or not the available package meets your individual blogging needs. Assessing your initial needs requires you to have a basic understanding of how much space your blog will claim on the blog host server, and if the hosting package fits your blogging budget.
Depending upon the blogging platform of your preference, any required plug-ins installed to run your blog, plus the additional space needed for the initial blog scripts, estimated disk space usage is around 10MB. While most free blogging hosts support such basic blogs, however, if you intend to install video features, then the resources required are typically more than a free host sustains. Additionally, installing popular platforms such as WordPress is as easy as allowing users to automatically install platforms effortlessly using cPanel.
Reputable Blogging Platforms
If you’re searching for a trustworthy and free blogging platform to get started, consider the following favorite among established bloggers:
- Google’s Blogger – A free, web-based easy-to-use platform allowing users to edit using Microsoft Word and Google Docs. Virtually instant blog set-up. Ideal platform for beginners.
- WordPress – A known favorite for being a free web-based blogging platform that’s loaded with features such as trendy themes and plug-ins. WordPress is not recommended for users wishing to profit from affiliate marketing.
- Live Journal – A popular and versatile blog host offering free and paid packages, with over 18 million customers.
- Tumblr – Another free web-based platform, although ostly popular for micro-blogging allowing users to post frequent short posts similar to Twitter. Ideal for individuals desiring to blog without the required time and effort as a full-fledged blog.
- Posterous – Yet another free web-based blogging platform, but with a different spin. A single e-mail to Posterous allows you to set-up an account and blog your thoughts via e-mail; however, not to be confused with micro-blogging.
As in web hosting, you should demand and receive excellent customer service when troubleshooting an issue with your blog. Although for the most part blogs are usually not as complicated to maintain as fully-featured websites, however, you should still expect to encounter technical difficulties at some point in your blogging experience. Inquire if the blog host supports third party scripts, offers 24 hour customer service support and provide the appropriate contact information visible on the company’s home page.
Armed with the knowledge of your blogging needs and a reputable blog host, the sky is the limit in the blogosphere.